Thursday, December 23, 2004

Severing Back-monkies

You know those christmas gifts you get that you really don't fully appreciate until later? When I was a kid, I hated getting clothes, but came to like the warm socks when a cold day showed up. I love getting socks now, but it took a while to warm up to them when I was eight. Or when you get an unexpected CD that made you say "gee... thanks" only to have it be one of the more prized in your collection. Well I'm giving myself one of those this year, and it's going to take at least a couple of weeks, maybe longer, for me to fully appreciate it. I am giving myself the gift of a smoke-free me.
This will have to be a belated gift as my previous post probably points out, but before the end of the year, it will be mine. And this time I will not fail, for this time it is for myself and no one else. Trying to quit just because someone else wants you to doesn't really work. I wanted to make them happy, but couldn't do it because I didn't want it. Now it is for me and me only.
Gonna have company, too. Hopefully this will help, although being around other recovering addicts may fray a few nerves. But at least there will be folks I can relate to in my withdrawl.
This is it though. The time is now. Joe Camel will be out of my life forever. Even if I have to lock myself in a room with a bunch of soup and three buckets. But not, of course, without one last hit...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that......might want to save it until after tomorrow though....hehe Just so long as you don't start chewing to help you out. It's gonna be rough on you guys (and girl?) at the bar though.

Merry Christmas dude - BG

the crunchy one said...

the sad part is that it's been a part of me for so long that i'm kinda sad to see it go. it's like loosing an arm, or something.

Anonymous said...

yes, but in four months your skin will be radiant, your teeth whiter, and you will be able to walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. if you care heres some tips from when i quit:

1) tell yourself youre not quitting, your just stopping. thinking about quiting will only make you want it more. just tell yourself, i don't really need one RIGHT now, maybe later, much later. do it enough and soon it will have been days since you smoked.

2) everytime you think that you just CANT make it any longer without one--tell yourself you have to do 50 push ups first--by the time you can actually do the 50 push ups needed you won't even want to smoke anymore--plus youll improve the guns--you can charge double for tickets

3) take the money you would have spent on a pack or so a day and put it in a jar. at the end of the week you will be able to go out and get yourself a new cd, book, or alot of beer. make it like a game.

4) for every cig you smoke you have to do one really nasty household chore you hate--force each other to stick to it--one cig equals bleaching all the bathroom grout, or sorting out bob's boxes on the steps. that will motivate you to stop.

good luck guys
kate