Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Attention philistines!!

As far as I know, I am the only one who really enjoys Zippy. I know there must be more, since it continues to be in syndication, and he's got a pretty sweet website, complete with a theme song. This baffles my friends and enemies alike. They never get it, and don't understand how I do.

The secret is knowing it is often not meant to be laugh-out-loud funny. There is sometimes a joke, not always in the last panel as with more conventional comics. Other times it is just nonsensical whimsey, not even meant to make any sense. I admire this.

To help my pals better understand Zippy, and thus better understand me, I offer up Bill Griffith's "How to Read Zippy in Five Easy Lessons." Right here.
Check it out, and quit your bitchin.

No comments: